I don’t think of myself as an author as I haven’t published a book, but I do think of myself as a writer. According to the dictionary, however, I am both.
writer [ˈraɪtə] n
1. (Communication Arts / Journalism & Publishing) a person who writes books, articles, etc., esp as an occupation
2. (Communication Arts / Printing, Lithography & Bookbinding) the person who has written something specified
3. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) a person who is able to write or write well
au·thor (ô th r) n.
1. a. The writer of a book, article, or other text.
b. One who practices writing as a profession.
2. One who writes or constructs an electronic document or system, such as a website.
definitions from: http://www.thefreedictionary.com/
Most people I know think of an author as someone who has written books and had them published. It seems somewhat pretentious for me to tell them I’m an author when all I’ve had published are a few articles and short stories. Yet, I do write articles and have a blog, so I meet the literal definition of an author.
What do you think is the proper term for someone who writes but hasn’t published a book? How do you describe yourself when people ask—as a writer, or author? Is there a difference in the two?